Why I write

by - May 06, 2020

I recently got notified by Feedspot that my blog would be included in the Top 75 Singapore Investment Blogs. While I have heard of some of the top few blogs, the list reminded me again that the community interested in personal finance and investments is pretty large in Singapore. I first got interested in the markets during the 2008 GFC, back then I was still in high school and started using a simulator on Investopedia to trade. Later on in JC, I took this interest in financial literacy further by having my Project Work (PW) centred around it. 

My blog was started for 2 complementary reasons:
1. Diary - After having been interested in investing for almost 10 years, I realized that a lot of what I learnt from attending investment talks and analyst briefings were not recorded down properly. As a result, I was not able to fully grasp or remember some of the learning points. Every now and then when the same concept is brought up, somehow it seemed like I was learning it all over again. 

2. Education - Rounding back to my PW project on financial literacy, the project showed me (and my groupmates) that there was a gap in financial literacy education that formal education did not address. I hope that my blog will be a part of the many resources that readers have to improve their financial literacy. Through my posts, I also do hope that readers would be able to get better insights into how the market works and what drives businesses. As I may not always be correct, I do hope that the comments section can be better utilized by readers who have suggestions for improvement or an alternative view. 

Since inception in mid-March 2020, I have done 14 posts (excluding this post) about 8,000 page views with multiple posts getting past the 1,000 view mark. Interestingly the distribution of views was different from what I expected; some of my better posts (in my opinion) received lower views than posts I spent less effort for. Also, I started receiving more page views after submitting my blog to be on aggregator sites like sginvestbloggers and thefinance so a shout out to the guys running those sites. 

To end off, I am appreciative of the support from readers (whoever you are) for my blog and wish everyone good luck in the markets!

You May Also Like

0 comments